Range and habitat Found in forests of Central Sub-Saharan West Africa.
Natural diet: Mammals and birds (including small antelope and crested porcupine).
Size / weight range: About 4 to 4 1/2 feet, maximum just under 6 feet; up to 19 pounds.
Interesting Facts: • The Gaboon viper is a large stout venomous snake that lives forests.
• Its intricate pattern is excellent camouflage in the leaf litter of the forest floor.
• The Gaboon viper has the longest fangs of any snake (record 2.25 inches).
• The Gaboon viper is a sit and wait predator, coiled in hiding until prey comes within range.
• The venom of this viper is extremely toxic with neurotoxic, heamotoxic, cytotoxic, and hemorrhagic components.
• With the large amounts of venom produced, bites from this animal are extremely dangerous and fatalities are common if untreated.
• The Gaboon viper bears live young and litters can contain up to 40 babies.