- Get Involved
For more information about our homeschooling programs, please call 419.385.5721, ext. 2042.
New! Homeschool Day: February 27, 2014
Visit the Toledo Zoo as a homeschool family to participate in crafts, tours, education classes, and activities. This special event, designed just for homeschool families, is during our Spring Alive floral extravaganza and free-flight walk-through butterfly encounter. Both are included in Zoo Admission.
Times: 10am - 2pm
Cost: $5 per family plus Zoo admission
Schedule of Programs and Events:
10am Check-in begins
10am-12pm Animal Olympic Games program
10:30-10:55am What Pet to Get program (recommended for under 7)
10:30-10:55am Aviary walking tour meets
10:30-10:55am Tiger Terrace walking tour
11am-1pm Live animal demonstrations
11-11:25am Fairy tale program
11:30-11:55am Aviary walking tour
11:30-11:55am Tiger Terrace walking tour
11:30-11:55am Wild Toledo program (recommended for 7 and older)
12-12:25pm What Pet to Get program (recommended for under 7)
12-1pm Ice carving demonstration near the African Animal Carousel
12:30-12:55pm Fairy tale program
12:30-12:55pm Tiger Terrace walking tour
1-1:25pm Wild Toledo program (recommended for 7 and over)
1-2pm Madcap Puppet Show presents “Aladdin & Friends” in the Indoor Theatre
1:15pm Keeper talk at the Wolf Cabin near Arctic Encounter
1:30-1:55pm Aviary walking tour meets
These events run throughout the program (10am - 2pm):
• Garden Patch activity station in Nairobi Pavilion
• Biofact discovery
• Terrarium-building in Nature’s Neighborhood Workshop
• Scavenger hunt
• Butterfly encounter in the Museum of Science
2013-2014 Homeschool program schedule
Your child can enter the Kingdom of the Animals at the Toledo Zoo! This three-season program, starting in September and running through mid-May, explores faraway places—learning about animals, animal habitats and classification along the way. It’s a fun way to explore conservation issues, experience live animals up close, express current information and engage students in group activities. Each month features a class of animals such as reptiles, birds and mammals.
5- to 6-year-olds 10:45 – 12noon (Call for program openings)
7- to 9-year-olds 10:45 – 12noon (Call for program openings)
10- to 13-year-olds 10:45 – 12noon (Call for program openings)
Year-end project fair: Thursday, May 15, 2014
Classes run October through April
Birds - February 12, 13, 14
Mammals - March 12, 13, 14
Endangered Species - April 16, 17, 18
Project Fair (all age groups)
Members: $10 per class or $70 for the whole year
Non-members: $15 per class or $110 for the whole year.
Program fees do not include admission to the Toledo Zoo, which must be paid separately at the Zoo’s main entrance.
The Toledo Zoo reserves the right to cancel class because of low enrollment. Refunds will be issued only in emergencies and only if notification is given before the class has been held.
• A minimum of 10 students for each class is required. The Toledo Zoo reserves the right to cancel classes due to insufficient enrollment. We will contact you one week prior to class if it is cancelled.
• Class size is limited to 15 students, and registration is on a first-come, first-served basis.
• Classes begin promptly at scheduled times. Please respect this as it is extremely difficult to locate your child’s class on grounds or on a tour once the class has begun. Please make sure you leave enough time to travel to the Zoo and walk to your classroom. There will be no late admittance.
• Registration is required. Walk-ins will not be accepted.
To register, please download our printable registration form and
The Toledo Zoo
P.O. Box 140130
Toledo, OH 43614-0801
419.389.8670 attn: Peggy Coutcher
For questions, call Peggy Coutcher at 419.385.5721, ext 2042