- Get Involved
There's always something fun at your Toledo Zoo!
Something's always happening at the Toledo Zoo. Along with outstanding animal encounters, we offer a wide variety of activities, events, services and attractions that will make your visit memorable and enjoyable.
Lights Before Christmas
As we enter another joyous holiday season, there are many cool new things to experience at the Lights Before Christmas this year, along with some of your traditional favorites. Click on any of the images below to get full details:
2014 is going to be Special!
We have some amazing events planned as we head into 2014. Check them out!
We’re open year-round—just ask the animals!
Our polar bear cubs, snow leopards, and wolves are just fine outdoors in mid-January, but many other animals live in indoor exhibits that you can visit all year. You can visit hundreds of birds at the Aviary; gorillas and orangutans at the Kingdom of the Apes; small primates at the indoor area of Primate Forest; elephants in the elephant barn at Tembo Trail; dozens of reptiles in the Reptile House; and visit the Museum of Science to see amphibians, large insects and spiders, and our Great Barrier Reef aquarium.
Learning is fun at the Toledo Zoo—even in colder months
You can learn about the natural world through play and exploration at Nature’s Neighborhood all year! The indoor area features multiple activity areas, and Zoo staff might even be nearby to share live animal encounters with visitors. Families with children ages 0-5 can also join us for Family Programs that offer great interactive learning here at the Zoo!
Events for the Whole Family:
Throughout the year the Zoo hosts several family-centered events for visitors of all ages, as well as great afterhours events where adults can dine, mingle and have a great experience too. View our Year at a Glance page for a preview of all events remaining for the current year.
Fun with the animals:
• Come visit our goats, guinea pigs and more at Nature’s Neighborhood, our award-winning, year-round children’s zoo and center for learning fun!
• NEW! Feed a giraffe at the Toledo Zoo. Get details for this lofty experience: Giraffe Feeds! (seasonal availability)
• Learn how we care for some of your favorite animals with our Behind-the-scenes Tours (seasonal availability)
• Our animals are just like yours—they love to eat! During Natural Feeding Demonstrations,, you can watch different animals chow down each day from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Zoo staff may also be available to share information and answer questions.
• You can support your favorite Zoo animal by becoming a Zoo PAL. It also makes a great gift.
• Have you seen our vast collection of Animal Facts? Each page has information, a photo, and videos about your favorite Zoo animals. You can also download any of the videos for free.
• Check out our animal web cams to see what some of our animals are doing right now!
• On your next trip to the Zoo, look for our volunteer Zoo-Eds and ZOOTeens offering new perspectives on animals.
• Check out our Zoo Babies.
• Ride a giraffe, lion, zebra and more on the African Animal Carousel.
• Immerse yourself in the heart of Africa! on the Safari Railway.
• Take a trip back in time on the Zoo’s 1950s vintage carousel.
Note: as of 7/12/2013, the vintage carousel is being serviced. We apologize for the inconvenience!
Please note: Individual tickets may be purchased, or purchase a ride pass for multiple rides at a discounted rate. Ride operation is contingent on weather conditions; rides may have shortened schedules during winter months.
Where are the rides? Download our Zoo Guide Map so you can plan a trip to our rides during your visit
Explore and play:
Nature’s Neighborhood. Forget what you think you know about children’s zoos. Nature’s Neighborhood is a 100% explore-able wonderland that’s perfect for kids 8 and under! This award-winning, year-round children’s zoo experience is your place to discover, explore and play.
Our colorful playground, located near the Main Plaza, is a great place to let the kids run the wiggles out.
Where is Nature’s Neighborhood? Download our Zoo Guide Map so you can stop by to see them during your visit.
Face painting and caricatures:
Face painting and caricature drawings, located near Africa!, make a Zoo visit even more fun.
Whether you’re a serious photographer or the family shutterbug, the Zoo offers remarkable photo opportunities:
• Animal Exhibits — Many exhibits get you (safely) face to face with the animals for great close-ups
• Animal Sculpture — Animal sculptures throughout the zoo are a great place to create family memories
• The Conservatory —The Conservatory and gardens provide perfect backdrops and beautiful subject matter
• Historic Architecture — The Zoo is home to several buildings from the WPA era. Take a picture of history!
Please note: Commercial photography or filming is prohibited without the prior consent of the Zoo’s Marketing Department.
• Find great Zoo souvenirs, from plush toys to Zoo gear at our gift shops and gift carts throughout the Zoo.
• Does someone you know have a favorite zoo animal? Learn how Zoo PAL could be a great gift!
Picnics, concessions, and food services:
• The Zoo can host your organization’s picnic for a super day of family fun. Learn more.
• Try our new lunchtime adventure, Picnic On Safari, with the option for a live animal encounter at Africa!
• Have lunch waiting for you on arrival - no lines. Feeding your family is a breeze with our Safari Sandwiches program.
• Field trip? Group function? If you have lots of people to feed, check out our streamlined sack-lunch program
• Click here to find places where you can tame your hunger when you’re at the Zoo.
• The Timberline Bakery and Deli inside the North Star Trading Post® is a great place to get a sandwich, baked goods or just a great cup of coffee.The Timberline Bakery also offers services for cakes and other custom baked goods perfect for your special occasion. Learn more.
• Host a catered event at the Toledo Zoo! Our service and food will delight and impress your guests! Learn more
• You never know who’s going to be at a Zoo event to entertain you!
Many of our festive events are enhanced by the performances of musicians, magicians, dancers, cultural groups and other performers. Click here to see our scheduled events to find out what’s happening at the Zoo.
• The Toledo Zoo’s Summer Concert Series brings popular performers to the amphitheatre stage for you.
• The popular Music Under the Stars program is a great way to experience some great music on a summer evening, and admission is FREE.
• Learn more about all the Toledo Zoo’s educational programs—there’s something for every age and interest.
• During select Zoo events, look for hands-on activity stations staffed by our expert Education department staff and volunteers.
Plan Your Parties and Private Events at the Zoo
Make your next get-together one to remember!
Host your event at the Zoo! We have the excellent service, menus and venues to make your occasion perfect:
Stay connected with us on Facebook by liking our page. Our Facebook fans enjoy Zoo updates, discount notifications, prize drawing contests, and Zoo photos!