The ZOOTeen program offers volunteer opportunities to students ages 13-17 who have a strong interest in education, animal science and conservation. ZOOTeens also must have the ability to complete activities independently, a positive attitude, and willingness to engage in a team environment. The ZOOTeen program strives to work with individuals of all abilities. Please contact our office to discuss reasonable accommodations at 419-385-5721 ext. 2045.
- Host education activity stations covering a variety of animal topics
- Facilitate and support live animal encounters in the Aquarium and Nature's Neighborhood
- Use biofacts (hides, bones, etc) to educate visitors about our animals and exhibits
- Assist with Summer Camp programs
- Participate in a variety of off-grounds community service and conservation projects
- Make enrichment for the animals, provide clerical support and other activities as needed
- Successfully complete required trainings, including orientation and hands on sessions
- Volunteer at least 60 hours before October 31
- Of those 60 hours, serve at least 7 hours (post-training) on a Saturday or Sunday between June 1st and August 31st.
- Attend at least 1 ZOOTeen meeting between May and October
- Follow Zoo uniform dress code policies
- Ability to complete activities independently, have a positive attitude, and to engage in a team environment
Additional information about year-round program opportunities, including requirements and applications, will be given throughout the season.
The ZOOTeen program requires an annual fee of $75 to cover expenses of the program, including shirts, training materials, name tag, staffing, etc. This fee is payable upon acceptance into the ZOOTeen program, and is not required at the time of application. Scholarships are available. Please contact the Volunteer Department at 419-385-5721 ext. 2045 to be put on a mailing list for next season.
Teens and their parents must attend an Informational Session, typically held in January and February each year. Please contact the Volunteer Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 419.385.5721 to be contacted when registration opens for the 2024 season.